Thursday, November 15, 2012

Paper Sparkle Flower



My beautiful Moon Princess and her sparkle flower


My little Moon Princess really loved this craft. I wasn’t sure if she would be able to finish it on her own, but I only showed her how to fold the paper for two folds. We work with paper folding and weaving a good bit so she did take to it quickly. 

We used a piece of construction paper and folded it from the shorter side with accordion folds. Now that we know how to make fans around here I’m finding them all over. This included a permission slip for one of my sons…I found it just in time. The field trip went off without a hitch.

Here’s the step by step:

Fold paper accordion style with about half inch wide folds.


Once the whole sheet is folded hold together and fold in the center so that the two ends meet.



Cut that open end with one angle or a curve to your liking.



Use clear tape to cover the inside fold where it matches up to the other half. Tape just that one open fold to the other.


Carefully open the fanned end of the flower. This gave me some trouble and you just have to be gentle with it but not afraid to pull it open.


Tape the other two ends together to complete the circle. I also added a line of glue from a glue stick to try to keep the inside together. 


We cut out a circle of other paper and covered it with glitter for the center. We like glitter around here! I ended up just rolling a piece of masking tape up and double sticking it to the circle and the center of the fanned circle. 


This was great for a 4 year old who likes folding. I had to pull it open and secure the outside seam for her. The rest she was able to do on her own. It has too high of difficulty for my 3 year old. She enjoyed making glitter circles though. We used all those glitter circles to make some spiral hanging ornaments.   

Just give the baby glue, a paint brush, and a cup full of glitter. That’s all they need. Hey, it all vacuums up eventually:) 
This baby LOVES glitter!


2 comments: